WDYWT - February 18, 2018 - Streetwear | Streetwear

Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2018

WDYWT - February 18, 2018 - Streetwear

WDYWT - February 18, 2018 - Streetwear


WDYWT - February 18, 2018

Posted: 18 Feb 2018 12:15 AM PST

Welcome to the daily WDYWT Thread!


WDYWT = What Did You Wear Today. It doesn't necessarily need to be what you were wearing TODAY. Please make sure you have read the WDYWT rules including information about posting outside of this thread. WDYWT is set to Contest Mode. This means that you will not be able to see the number of upvotes a comment has. Despite this, we still encourage everyone to vote.


If you're looking for other ways to interact with the /r/streetwear community, you might want to check out our official social media accounts:

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Simple Questions and General Discussion - February 18, 2018

Posted: 18 Feb 2018 12:14 AM PST

Welcome to the Simple Questions and General Discussion thread!


You know the drill, this thread is up for any kind of discussion, it doesn't have to be about streetwear!

All W2C/ID requests belong in this thread


If you're looking for other ways to interact with the /r/streetwear community, you might want to check out our official social media accounts:

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

[WDYWT] Yakuza Application

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 03:39 PM PST

[WDYWT] Ready for the rain

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 05:04 AM PST

[WDYWT] Fitpic Experiments #2

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 03:36 PM PST

[WDYWT] they always told me i dressed like an anime character

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 06:26 PM PST

Personal Uniforms: If it ain't broke don't fix it

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 03:01 PM PST

Although the current fashion climate is such that consumerism and rotating wardrobes are at an all time high, many people still manage to fall back on their favorite items on a consistent basis. I have come to realize (after very little self searching) that I have a very comfortable personal uniform that i will wear almost every other day. I figured I would go over mine and talk about why its so practical as well as hopefully inspire some people to do the same.

Top- Uniqlo Merino LS

  • Due to its merino wool construction, this "sweater" manages to be both cozy and lightweight. in the warmer months i feel comfortable and breathable. when its cold this acts as a great base layer and pairs with pretty much anything. Also, for people unfamiliar with the most essential and technical feature of merino wool... it doesn't smell. Truly I have never had either of my merino sweaters attract any odor in the slightest (Disclaimer: this may vary person to person and you still need to wash yourself regularly)

Bottom- Arc'teryx Veilance Field Pant

  • Made of gore-tex wind-stopper, these pants completely destroy the winter months and rainy days alike. ostensibly waterproof for anything other than torrential downpours the field pant manages to blend the function of 5.11 tactical pants with a tailored pant akin to traditional menswear. The cut of these is flattering and loose enough for daily comfort while remaining professional and relaxed. The pockets are spacious and the cargo storage has a small internal flap that ill go into a bit later. I could gush about these all day as they truly are my favorite pants but ill spare you.

Shoes- Nike x Acronym LF1 Multi

  • Despite frequently switching these out for my common projects I think i still get more wear out of my LF1s. Constructionally the zip makes for easy on and off and despite being the only acronym piece in the outfit it is by far the least technical (sorry Errolson). They manage to add a pop of color while not taking too much attention from the rest of the outfit and i only manage to like them more and more with how much I'm beating them up.

Shell- Winter: Arc'teryx Veilance Patrol Down Coat Not Winter: Arcteryx Veilance Conduct Anorak

  • The price of the Patrol is absurd. I'll come out and say it. That being said much of the craftsmanship is abundantly clear after only a few minutes of wearing the jacket. With a production time of close to 18 hours for a single jacket, this powerhouse piece keeps me warm though the severe Boston winters and when detached can act as a quality shell or down jacket respectively. I will say that becuase of my height I partially regret not going with the Monitor Coat which is a bit longer.

  • The Conduct Anorak was the item that got me interested in Veilance. its sleek, understated presentation along with its soft c-knit Gore-tex composition makes this easily the most comfortable ""rain jacket"" I have ever worn.

Accessories- Arc'teryx Casting Card Wallet, Handgrey H4 Carabiner and Arc'teryx Veilance Nomin Pack V1 Now Revised.

  • I have fully committed myself to being "that guy" who asks every store if they accept apple pay because i simply hate carrying bulky wallets and cash and dealing with all that. The minuscule Casting Card Wallet manages to be just what i need. big enough only to carry ~6 cards and no cash, I found my own personal sensibilities reflected perfectly in this silly small bi-fold.

  • Its a carabiner. It holds my keys (well key) and school ID. Should I have spent 110 dollars on it and a keyring? no... probably not... but who cares I like it.

  • Since my purchase, the Nomin pack has been revised and my lovely friend (and healthy competitor for most Veilance influence) Bernard goes into poetic detail comparing the differences and I couldn't agree more with his assertions.

Ecosystem and Closing thoughts

  • So remember when I mentioned the internal pocket on in the cargo pocket of the field pants? Well the reason that is such a key detail is because it is exactly the same width as my Casting Card Wallet and Iphone. Now it may not be Acronymjutsu but one reason I come back to this outfit day after day is because every piece plays off of the other in a way that maximizes comfort, function, and style. Now i recognize a lot of this is simply brand continuity but regardless its something that i appreciate in my clothes and why this remains my quintessential daily outfit.

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Im happy to answer any questions about the items I've listed and want to open the discussion for people to write about their personal uniform and why its important to them.

inb4: Veilance Shill

x-post r/streetwear r/techwearclothing r/malefashion

submitted by /u/kickster777
[link] [comments]

[ART] ABSTRACT BOY IN RAF, REVENGE & GUCCI

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 06:56 AM PST

[art] going for a techwear vibe, howd I do?

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 10:27 AM PST

[Discussion] Is Adidas Washed in Hypebeast Culture?

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 08:59 AM PST

I just had the chance to watch Richie Le's new Hypetalk video and I think this would be a great discussion to further build upon on this sub, just to be able to get a broader range of opinions on what was covered in the video. Here is the link to the video to hopefully aid the discussion of the topic at hand:

https://youtu.be/GTNPGXJ_3Cg

I want to start out by saying I'm personally bi-partisan between the Yeezy brand and Jordan brand, and I know the following is the most hypebeast thing to say but I don't ever wear anything besides Jordan brand or Yeezy from both companies. I have not owned an Adidas GR or Nike GR in years.

Now think back to about a year or two ago, I know I personally can't even begin to recount how many IG and YT hypebeasts that I've seen covered head to toe in Adidas branding because of the hype around the Yeezy line at that moment in the culture. Ever since the Yeezy brand was heavily diluted due to the odd choice of giving us the same shoe model in ten different colorways, I haven't really seen what I like to call the, "Adidas fuckboy uniform" in a hot second, and I'm assuming that's partially due to the availability of the Yeezy shoes in general now (whether it be lower resell prices or high end replicas) and the fact that Virgil essentially helped Nike take over Q3/Q4 in 2017 with the Ten release.

So what I'd like to ask is do you personally see anyone repping Adidas head to toe anymore like they were about a year or two ago, whether it be online or in person? And speaking purely from a hype perspective, do you see any big names in streetwear or other, "influencers" wearing general release Adidas? Is Nike themselves even making any GRs that are gaining traction here in our community? Let me know! I'm not the best writer but this is an interesting topic to me... and one more thing I'd like to throw in just because hopefully some people will read this whole wall of text, does it seem to anyone else that Music/Streetwear as a whole has somewhat come to a standstill in terms of creativity ever since Kanye has been laying low?

submitted by /u/ThatOneDork
[link] [comments]

[NEWS] Riot that went down today at Bape NYC

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 09:11 PM PST

[Discussion] Streetwear. My story.

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 07:53 PM PST

Recently I bought back into streetwear. I regret it. I've moved on. Here's why.

When I was a teenager, I used to drop my disposable income on fits. I ordered most of my gear from ASOS or thrifted. I thought my clothes got me popularity amongst others and attention from women. It helped at first, but I quickly wised up and realised there was more to it than that.

When I became a student in 2013 my interest in fashion dropped off. This happened because I got into a steady relationship and was comfortable. I didn't need my clothes to make statements for me.

In 2017, I woke up one day and realised I'd regressed. University has killed my creativity. This was around the time I started listening to hip-hop again. Brockhampton's early releases started popping up on YouTube and hooked me.

My interest in streetwear leapt when I saw people my age enjoying the years I simply hadn't. I let all my barriers down, dropped my critical thinking and did something stupid. I spent most of my student loan this semester on fits. Now it's 2018 and I can't pay rent. My birthday was also nine days ago. To celebrate, I spontaneously booked a cheap flight to Italy to check out Rome, a place I'd been wanting to go when I was younger. I thought this would cheer me up.

  • I wore most of the fits once, then sold them on eBay for only a scrap of what I'd spent originally.

The clothes did nothing for me intrinsically when they arrived.

  • I also didn't enjoy Rome. Even though I saw everything my kid-self had always wanted to see, it was painfully watered down by stale tourism.

Expectation vs reality really took a new meaning for me here.

Now that I'm back and have been knocked down, I've realised some things.

Sometimes you get an idea in your head. A piece of rational thought. A well-developed concept. This idea circulates in your stream of consciousness. If you want, you can fish it out, or you can leave it until it becomes trivia.

The system we are a part of, capitalism, allows institutions (such as the marketplace) to advertise ideas. Some ideas inform you that Carhartt, Fila and Champion (to use brand examples) are 'in.' To confirm this bias, mainstream hip-hop artists rep 'in' fits, whilst others set trends as paid promotions. This is also done in a... Endless, time-consuming amount of ways, but my point is:

Once I fished the idea of branded fits out of the conceptual stream, I was stuck in the loop. I bought, and bought, and bought until I ran on empty.

I realise now that because I wasn't participating in anything intrinsically worthwhile, I needed instant gratification. I needed to participate, but without the hassle. So I latched onto streetwear.

I understand that many of you in this subreddit love fashion. You live and breathe it. That's cool, but I also see a lot of depression posts floating around here. They turn this subreddit transparent for me whenever I read them. There are a lot of lost, exploited kids here. If you're reading this and you're smart enough to realise that you're being duped by big industry, then I support you. It takes guts to accept that things won't bring you happiness, because it means that you have to start appreciating what really matters, and you might not know what that is yet.

Take my word for it. There will always be another trend, another fit, and another lookbook to scout out. Your time and creativity is better spent elsewhere, because when was the last time Supreme thanked you after raping your wallet? Fast fashion wanted me to feel behind, even when I just paid to get ahead.

I want to learn to appreciate what I have, not what I could have. No amount of clothing, products or 'things' will fulfil me. If fits fulfilled me, then I would have never needed that next fit.

Finally, I know Eddie Vedder has a lot to say on this subject, but seeing as I started on hip-hop, I'll end with hip-hop: J. Cole posted The Disease of More (Reflection) in early January. I recommend it to everyone here: https://youtu.be/T5uKuKjzzaw

'(It's a hamster wheel.) It's a hamster wheel! And you're never satisfied. -- But if you put your focus on this... Which is like, appreciation and love, that's enough.'

... This is me unsubscribing to r/streetwear. Communities like this are an important stepping stone, because without discussion, there can't be progress. I'm glad this subreddit exists. You guys are incredible. I wish you all the peace and love that I want for my life to also fill up yours.

Edit: 07:56 AM GMT. Changed many you's to I's. This scenario was my mistake, which I hope others can now avoid.

submitted by /u/CasualBowserBrowser
[link] [comments]

[WDYWT] Basic

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 04:12 AM PST

[Advert] WISTERIA BOY shirt

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 10:53 PM PST

[DISCUSSION] DEPRESSION & FASHION

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 04:25 AM PST

I'm a 19 yo guy and i've always been a shy person, but since like 2 years a sort of depression and loneliness problems have kicked in. I'm sooooo insecure about everything, even about myself and the only thing that makes me a little bit more secure and stronger is fashion and clotches in general. I just want to appear good in other people's eyes and i understand that isn's right. My family and my few friends keep saying that physical appearance doesnt matter at all but its all i care. Tbh the cause of my problems is my relation with girl, expecially the last one (6ish months ago). She left me because i gave her too many attentions and i was boring, and honestly i don't really blame her. Even my parents kinda hate me and hopefully i will move out soon... In a few years i guess i'll be broke, with nice clothes, but broke and lonely...

submitted by /u/hipsdeer
[link] [comments]

[Discussion] Horse Power: Hip-Hop’s impact on Ralph Lauren

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 08:44 AM PST

Is Norse Projects worth the asking price? [Discussion]

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 06:35 PM PST

I was thinking about buying this or this norse projects shirt for ~100 USD, but was wondering whether or not the quality justifies the price. I could get a decent pair of bookshelf speakers for the same price and while I place a lot of value on quality of construction and materials it is still a fairly substantial amount of money for a shirt to me.

submitted by /u/18481871
[link] [comments]

[DISCUSSION] Need some advice on what to cop this SS

Posted: 17 Feb 2018 02:02 PM PST

Inspired by some previous posts, here I've written down what Im considering to add to my outfits and I'm also looking for some advice from you guys ;

Outerwear: Last year I purchased a really nice Ralph blue puffer jacket which is really nice, but I still need a spring jacket and Im looking for some vibrant colors like yellow, green or orange so any advice is welcome.

Tops: I have a few oversized tees in grey, dark red, white which dont fit that good anymore so, although Im also looking to cop some supreme ss18, Im looking out for some brands I never wore like acne studios, raf... but ironicaly dont want to spend a lot of money, im also looking for colors that look nice with light washed denim which I really dig

Bottoms: Bought some ripped liht washed jeans a month ago and by now, im mainly wearing just them so im looking out for something fresh, im also planning to get some adidas trackpants in blue or yellow, maybe green

Shoes: I really got into shoes last year, i bought the UB3.0s triple white which are my favorite, I also dig the classics like the cortez sillhouette and the reebok c85 which I just bought, Im currently looking into the CDG cons and the revenge x storm or if there are any good supreme collabs I dig

Overall, Im just looking for some new pieces that will pop and freshen up my outfit, a month ago I bought the yellow off white belt, which some hate, some like, but thats my stile overall, always looking to freshen up with new colors like pink and constantly changing so im looking for some advice and recomendations.

submitted by /u/Lu70707
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment